If you’re an employer who conducts background checks on all new personnel, congratulations! You’ve taken the first step to ensuring that you’re hiring decent individuals. But don’t rely on background checks alone. A comprehensive hiring strategy must be a part of any company’s plan for success.
What else should you include in your interviewing process in addition to background checks?
- Always check references. You can do this yourself or hire a third party provider to do it for you.
- Always check past employers. Again, this is something that can be handled in or out of house.
- Establish protocols for interviews. This will set a tone for how all your new hires are interviewed.
- Train any interviewers. Don’t assume that a good employee will be a good interviewer. Get him or her training.
- Don’t allow anyone to hire on “gut instincts”. Sometimes, your gut can be wrong… and that can cost you money, time and, unfortunately, your reputation.